Monday, October 3, 2011

Seven Damn Country Songs You Oughta Listen To


It's been a couple months since I highlighted the standout songs in the most commercially stable genre of music these days.  Get used to country music people, because it ain't goin' anywhere.  Let's just hope it's mostly songs like these that get the prominent airplay, and not junk like this.

Trace Adkins- “Just Fishin’”: Not too much to this one, just a tender ode to fatherhood.  This is country at its best- simple songs about the simple things in life, clear, to the point, and well-crafted.  Very, very hard not to enjoy.


Pistol Annies- “Hell On Heels”: This dark warning to sugar daddies scares me quite a bit.  Obviously I’ve made a killing writing this blog, and now I’m worried about the gold diggers like the Pistol Annies that will inevitably come out of the woodwork!

 
Kenny Chesney feat. Grace Potter- “You And Tequila”: As I’ve mentioned before, nothing beats a good country duet.  It’s also fun to point out the predicatbility of what appears in these country videos- soft-focus shots, alcohol, old cars, and hats.  Timeless, I guess.


 
Rodney Atkins- “Take A Back Road”: I hardly ever drive, and even more rarely encounter traffic jams, but dammit, now I wanna take a back road too!  It just sounds so enticing.  Nothing more American than a little gravel in your travel.  Well, actually, nothing more third-world than dirt roads.  But never mind.  It’s the thought that counts.

 
Blake Shelton- “God Gave Me You”: This is the hottest country song out right now, and Blake Shelton is the hot new thing in Nashville (and he’s getting married to Miranda Lambert, obviously).  I don’t really care about all that though.  What I really want to mention is how country music has undoubtedly become the best genres for music videos.  Somewhere along the way, most acts stopped telling stories in their music videos, and started focusing only on themselves.  Country artists never changed, though, and their videos are so much better for it.  Unfortunately, Blake's people won't let me embed the video, so click here to watch it, and I'll put the audio below.

 
Brad Paisley feat. Alabama- “Old Alabama”: And now we’ve reached the All-America part of the post.  In other words, the best part.  I don’t have much to add here- just enjoy the fast cars, drive-in movies, and Brad Paisley superimposed into old Alabama clips.  Oh, and Jeff Gordon!

 
Toby Keith- “Made In America”: I had this song on the mind a few weeks ago, on the tenth anniversary of 9/11.  I was only a kid on that day, and I think growing up in an era of such uncertainty has made me particularly supportive of songs championing American exceptionalism.  Case in point- I got goosebumps watching this video.  We should never forget we’re the best damn country in the world.   

 
Look what kind of effects only seven country songs can have on someone.  Just like that, I'm a flag-waving Southern boy displaying blind patriotism.  Buy American, everybody, and I’ll be back tomorrow with another song of the day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment