Friday, September 30, 2011

Song Of The Day: Nickelback- "When We Stand Together"


That's right, everyone's favorite band is back!  New album November 21!  Multiple singles already released!  There's no better time than a Nickelback release!  Brings all the haters out of the woodwork.

In all seriousness, I have always been baffled by the irrational hatred of Nickelback.  I have never in my life met anyone who proclaimed themselves a Nickelback fan (maybe I hang out with the wrong crowds), and I have met many, many people who legitimately believe Nickelback is the lone reason for the demise of the music industry.  Yet somehow they're the most consistently successful rock band on the charts these days.  Perhaps it's because of their success that they inspire so much hatred.  I think it's more because rock music fans have become such post-ironic, cynical hipsters, and Nickelback is so straightforward, that Nickelback manages to embody a lot of those fans' inner insecurities.  Oooh, ouch.  I went there.

Either way, I genuinely enjoy a lot of Nickelback songs.  This, however, is not their best work.  It's pleasing enough to listen to, but it never really gets going.  Hopefully the rest of their album will contain some gems, but we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment