Monday, August 1, 2011

History Lesson: The Most Ubiquitous Songs of Each Year of the Last Decade*



Every year, there’s at least one song that, for a certain period of time, appears to be the only song on the radio.  Whether it’s blaring out of a passing car, at a bar, or in your friend’s basement, it’s inescapable.  Here’s a look at the most ubiquitous song each year from the past decade (obviously excluding 2011, on account of it being unfinished).

2001: Jennifer Lopez feat. Ja Rule- "I'm Real"


This was the biggest hit on the radio right around the time I started listening to pop music.  It was undoubtedly one of my least favorite tracks, and every time I turned on my clock radio or convinced my parents to turn on the car radio, I suffered a crushing letdown when this smarmy duet inevitably cascaded over the airwaves.  My stance has softened over the years, though- hearing it now mostly just brings back nostalgia for a time when hearing this song was literally the worst thing that could happen to me.

2002: Nelly- "Hot in Herre"

Not only was “Hot in Herre” the indisputable summer jam of 2002, but also it represented a time when nothing was hotter than the St. Louis/Dirty South rap scene, baggy clothes, throwback jerseys, huge chains, huge cars, and (apparently) Band-Aids included.  Man, I loved those songs, and their music videos, even though they were all the same.


’03: Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz ft. Ying Yang Twins- “Get Low”

           
If “Hot in Herre” was the summer radio jam of 2002 and a celebration of Southern rap culture, “Get Low” was an underground anthem that accomplished the same goals despite not getting nearly as much airplay.  There was a time when you literally could not escape people singing this song, because it had so many quotable lines, best of all, obviously, the one about the window and the wall.  “Get Low” was also the mainstream debut of crunk, and I distinctly remember the first time I heard this song with my brother, we both just went “Whoa…this is some wild shit right here…this is gonna be huge.”  We were right, and it’s still one of my favorite rap songs of all time. 


2004: Outkast & Sleepy Brown- "The Way You Move"

           
I know “Hey Ya” was a bigger hit, but everyone remembers that song.  Big Boi’s single was also #1 for three weeks, and with good reason- I heard it so often (and I liked it even less than “Hey Ya”) that it certainly felt more ubiquitous than Andre 3000’s classic.  2004 was a great year for music, so it’s sad that the song that was the most inescapable was one of the least enjoyable.  But perhaps that’s why it sticks in my memory.


2005: Mariah Carey- "We Belong Together"

            
If you’re not a chart geek like me, you probably didn’t know that Billboard ranked this the #1 hit of the past decade.  You probably forgot this song even existed- after all, it’s pretty forgettable.  But for some reason (either record execs liked it or, God forbid, regular people liked it), it got almost constant airplay on Top 40 and urban radio back in 2005.  I think it’s an injustice that a song like this can get top billing over some of the far more memorable tracks released in the last 10 years, but stats are stats, right?


2006: Justin Timberlake- "SexyBack"

           
I have immense respect for Justin Timberlake.  He has succesfully navigated the transition from child star to boy-band star to solo artist to Hollywood leading man in a way that Justin Bieber can only hope to do (see my Pop Music Fantasy Draft for details).  All that being said, though…I’ve hardly liked a single song he’s ever made, and “SexyBack” is no exception.  It’s just repetitive and annoying, with little melody or a good enough beat to make me want to dance.  I am still mystefied as to why everyone loved it so much.  Just kidding I know it was because the ladies love JT unconditionally.


2007: Fergie- "Big Girls Don't Cry"

            
Love it or hate it, you can’t deny that this song was absolutely everywhere for most of 2007.  I actually grew quite fond of it, and I always enjoyed singing along when it came on, trying to squeeze out the high notes, much to the annoyance (or perhaps amusement) of anyone around me.  Let me tell you- Fergie has an impressive vocal range, and it is hard to duplicate.


2008: Ray-J feat. Yung Berg- "Sexy Can I"

             
Was this a good song?  No, not even after just listening to it again for the first time in three years.  Was it catchy as hell?  Absolutely, and that’s why it got stuck in my head to a much hugher degree than it should have.  It must have happened to a lot of people too, because it wound up being one of the most played songs of the year, and one of the ones I remember most.  Like ’04, 2008 was a great year for music, maybe the best one of the decade, but all I can remember it by is this piece of crap.  What a waste.


2009: The Black Eyed Peas- "I Gotta Feeling"

             
The very first time I heard this song I was putting on my suit for prom.  Very interesting.  These are the things that stick with you.  Then I heard it approximately 7,674,329 more times that year.  I always thought it should have had a harder-hitting beat, but apparently America didn’t mind because I think it spent most of the year at #1.  The only part of it I liked every time were the “Mazel Tov” and “L’chaim.”


2010: Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg- "California Gurls"

             
I know I already mentioned this in my Pop Music Fantasy Draft a couple weeks ago, but this song serves as a bridge to right now.  “California Gurls” was the lead single off Perry’s album Teenage Dream.  The fifth single off that album, “Last Friday Night,” is currently #2 on the Billboard chart.  Hard to believe the lifespan for that album.  As for the song, it’s by far my least-favorite single of the five released so far, but I would absolutely say it was the most ubiquitous song of 2010.  As for 2011, well, Katy Perry has three entries that could make this list, but plenty of other acts could stake a claim as well.  We’ll just have to wait and see.


*Results compiled scientifically (in other words I looked at the Billboard Year-End Top 100 for each of these years and decided which one I thought was the most ubiquitous).

1 comment:

  1. Missing "Crazy", "Yeah!" and "Since U Been Gone." I'm too lazy to look up the years they were released, but they stand out as the pop songs of the decade for me.

    "Crazy" especially - talk about a universally accessible, yet strangely psychedelic and mystical, 3-minute track that never gets old. Magic!

    ReplyDelete