Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top 30 Songs Of 2011- Part 2

When I started this blog back in June, I didn't know if people would find my opinions on music to be valid or not, and six months later, as we close out 2011...well, I still have no idea.  But 2012 is lookin' good for this blog, so I hope to keep you all entertained throughout.  But to move towards the future, we must first look back at the past, or some bull like that.  Without further ado, here are the top 15 songs of 2011.  Here's hoping for a similarly awesome year of music in 2012!

15. Foster The People- "Pumped Up Kicks (Gigamesh Remix)":

VERY important distinction here.  The remix is earning the #15 spot, not the original.  The original would be around this same spot on a potential "Most Annoying Songs of 2011" list.  But this remix- perfection.  If only they could have made some agreement to play this version instead of the mind-numbingly boring and grating regular version, maybe I wouldn't have had to change the radio station every ten seconds this summer.  

14. Alexandra Stan- "Mr. Saxobeat":

This saxy, horny beat makes me...well, let me just stop right there and allow you to enjoy the song without any further commentary.

13. The Script- "For The First Time":

Change of pace here- what most people would call a bland pop/rock song.  Well, every list needs one.  I can't have just jams on here, you know?  Gotta have some more emotional music in here too.  When the going gets tough, you just gotta find (or re-discover) the special someone so you can make it through together.  At least, that's what The Script would have you believe.  Me?  I'll go with Money Over Everything...

12. Avicii- "Levels":

Aaaand back to our previously uninterrupted stream of nonstop Jams.  This was probably the single biggest dance/house anthem of 2011, and it'll continue to be popular throughout 2012 as well.  Get to know it!

11. Lupe Fiasco- "Coming Up":

Unquestionably the biggest rap Jam of the year.  As I said on the Hip-Hop Countdown (where it was #1), I couldn't believe it wasn't released as a single.  There's still time, Lupe...push for it!  Whatever.  At least this way, I get to keep it relatively to myself.

10. Eli Young Band- "Crazy Girl":

Here's my favorite country song of 2011.  I know it's soft, but hopefully you can appreciate it nonetheless.  Not everything can be a Jam, you know...

9. Lights- "Toes":

 Haven't mentioned this song at all on the blog to this point, so it may be a surprise for all you legions of regular readers to see it in the top ten.  Well geez, guys, I gotta have some tricks up my sleeve!  I can't just lay it all out there in the open!  Gotta be some surprises on the year-end list!  Anyway, this is your underdog pick for 2011, and one of the few songs that I played on repeat on multiple occasions this year.  Not to mention Lights is A. rather attractive and B. affiliated with my favorite electropop act, Owl City...

8. Ellie Goulding- "Lights (Bassnectar Remix)":

 Dubstep remix/pop Jam of the year, no doubt.  Look up "Ellie Goulding Dubstep" on YouTube and you'll find a ton of other good stuff, too.  For some reason, she's like the go-to artist to make really good dubstep remixes to.  Must be the voice...

7. Kelly Rowland feat. Lil Wayne- "Motivation":

 Far, far, FAR and away the best R&B song this year.  Miles ahead of the competition.  Where does that get you on the ultimate list?  #7.  Not bad.  Check out the awesome star-studded remix, too.

6. Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera- "Moves Like Jagger":

Definitely the #1 uptempo pop jam of the year, and the Song Of The Summer.  Watch this video closely, too...no, not for Mick Jagger...although he's cool too...

5. M83- "Midnight City":

I guess this is the best "electronic" song of the year, whatever that means.  This is one of those songs you can chill out to, or groove to, or rage to.  Very versatile.  5-tool song.  Got a good chance to go high in the draft next year...

4. Lady Gaga- "You & I":

This Gaga classic with the bizarre video emerged as the winner of my Top 20 Songs Of 2011- Billboard Edition.  But once we opened it up to any and every song released in 2011, it slipped to fourth.  So that means three somewhat out-of-the-mainstream songs make up the top three.  What could they be?  Let's see.

3. Adele- "Set Fire To The Rain":

This song has finally picked up in popularity, which has deserved to happen since it was released with Adele's sophomore album 21, in February, and immediately established itself as the standout track (in my eyes anyway).  But it wasn't enough popularity to get it onto the Billboard year-end chart, so I get to claim it as "obscure" and "out of the mainstream" for purposes of this list.  Either way, it comes in at #3, because it evokes so much emotion, more so than almost any other song this year...

2. Kaskade feat. Mindy Gledhill- "Eyes":

As I mentioned yesterday in my Top Dance Songs of 2011, "Eyes" evokes some serious emotion.  If you're not feeling it, take a deep breath, turn the sound way up, and let the whole song wash over you.  It starts slow, but trust me, it's worth it.  This song slowly snuck up my list during the final part of the year, and came thisclose to unseating the presumptive champion, but it couldn't quite do it.  Instead, Number 1 goes to (drumroll please)...

1. Chris Brown & Benny Benassi- "Beautiful People":

Just like on the dance chart, Breezy and Benassi take the overall victory over Kaskade, and thus "Beautiful People" earns the title of Best Song Of 2011.  Did I know this would win the first time I heard it?  No, but I started to have a good idea as I played it more and more over the year, to the point where its play count was running laps around every other song released this year.  It just wouldn't have been fair to give the title to anyone else.  So tap your foot so hard you piss off your downstairs neighbor (which really happened to me this year while listening to this song!), and keep on tappin' it right into 2012.  See you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment