Friday, December 30, 2011

Top 10 Dance Jams Of 2011

Well.  2011 was a HUGE year for dance music all over the world.  Interestingly, this happened to coincide with me, for the first time, taking a major step toward an out-of-the-mainstream genre, that genre being, of course, dance music.  No sooner had I finally established my "niche" than that niche suddenly became the hottest thing going.  DJ's selling out arenas, even stadiums, all over the place, every hit song needing a dance beat to sell, massive dance tours and festivals seemingly drawing pretty much everyone between the ages of 18-24.  It feels like a revolution.

Of course, maybe that's just me.  But watching the YouTube live feed of the Swedish House Mafia show at Madison Sqaure Garden a couple weeks ago, I couldn't help but feel like it was an event, like the movement was reaching a tipping point.  I'm going out on a limb here and saying dance music is going to explode in America in 2012 like it never has before- yes, even rivaling the disco era.  And if it does, I will be at the front of the line.  Having said that, let's take a look at some of the best tracks from 2011 that made it such a year to remember.  It was hard to pare it down to just ten, but here they are (play these songs LOUD):


10. Nadia Ali- "Rapture (Avicii New Generation Radio Edit)":

The original version of this song came out ten years ago, but apparently it was such a memorable jam that, upon its ten-year anniversary, a bunch of special remixes were commissioned.  Naturally, 2011's hottest DJ, Avicii, did the best job with it, and his is the version you see here.  More from him later...

9. Kaskade- "Turn It Down (Le Castle Vania Remix)":

Another of 2011's biggest acts was Kaskade, who literally caused a riot in LA when he Tweeted about an impromptu street concert, and released a new album with some serious bangers.  The original version of this song is good, but this remix is so much better, it's the version I had to put. 

8. Avicii- "Silhouettes":

Here's some more Avicii for your ears.  It's quite possible no DJ had a more meteoric rise to stardom this year than he did, at least here in the States.  Some people might not like the vocals, but I think they add a nice element to the song.  And regardless of that, the beat is incredible, so just sit back and enjoy.

7. Nadia Ali, Starkillers, & Alex Kenji "Pressure (Alesso Radio Edit)":

And here's more of dance's vocal queen Nadia Ali.  Dunno who Starkillers or Alex Kenji are, but Alesso is the other big name here.  He's involved with the Mafia (the Swedish House Mafia, obviously) and he's quite good.  This is his best work, though, from what I can tell anyway.  The pauses in the chorus get me every time.

6. Alexandra Stan- "Mr. Saxobeat":

Yeah, this was all over the pop charts too.  Possibly the biggest hit to cross over from dance to pop this year.  But hey, it started in Romania (where all good music comes from these days, apparently), so it's legit.  It's not some American mass-produced BS; no, these are some real Euro saxobeats.  And i love dude who just keeps going "Oh, oh, oh, M'yeah, m'yeah" over and over.  This is an automatic Jam.

5. Avicii- "Levels":

This song was first recommended to me back in May, and I remember going "Man, who is Avicii? Probably some hipster douchebag."  But then the song started picking up, and I was shocked.  It was a real-life Jam, no exaggeration.  Now it's become the Bro Anthem of Fall 2011, and a mainstay at clubs, bars, raves, and every nightspot in the world.  And with good reason, too.  Let's not forget the timeline of the vocal sample, either: it went Etta James->Pretty Lights->Avicii (best version)->Flo Rida.  While this may not be my absolute favorite dance song of 2011, it will probably wind up being the one I think of first when I think of this year.

4. Ellie Goulding- "Lights (Bassnectar Remix)":

Dubstep obviously played a huge role in the rise of dance music this year, but you won't find any of it on this list, except for this remix of a British singer whose regular music sounds more like Adele but for some reason has been a frequent target of dubstep remixes.  Actually, it's not hard to see why.  Hear how good this sounds?  Figures that her other music would work nicely for dubstep remixes.  Anyway, you'll probably see more dubstep on next year's dance list, but for 2011, this is all I can give you.

3. M83- "Midnight City":

Everyone loved this song this year, but I heard it all by myself, without anyone else telling me about it (and quite possibly before a lot of other people had heard it yet either...look at me, such a hipster).  I came back to my room after a night out back in September, and as I was trolling through iTunes, I stumbled across this song, and I couldn't believe my ears it was so good.  When I woke up in the morning, I checked to see if it was as good as I remembered, and it was...or, 95% anyway. Fast forward 3.5 months, and here it is as the #3 dance Jam of 2011.

2. Kaskade feat. Mindy Gledhill- "Eyes":

The first few times I heard this song, I thought it was boring, a bit slow even.  Apparently, I hadn't listened to it all the way through, on good speakers.  Once I did, I couldn't help myself.  I listened to it over and over and over again, each time finding it more beautiful than the last.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I've almost choked up on a few occasions listening to this song.  Not quite, mind you.  But almost.  If I ever heard it live I would probably cross the threshold.  Also worth mentioning- Kaskade would have a third song on this list if "Raining" hadn't come out a couple months too early.  But, as it is, our #1 Dance Jam of 2011 is...

1. Chris Brown feat. Benny Benassi- "Beautiful People":

This song is not as artfully crafted as the last one, or some of the others on the list.  But dammit, it's just SO freakin' catchy.  I couldn't help myself from playing it on repeat this year- whether I was working out, hanging out, getting ready to go out, hearing it when I was out, listening to it again when I got back, etc. etc.  So congrats, Chris Brown and Benny Benassi, by virtue of being absolutely inescapable yet worth the listen every time, you win Best Dance Jam of 2011.  Let's hope that (somehow, if possible) 2012 is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment