Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Country Songs

Well, we're fully into June, which means it's unofficially but totally officially summer, and with that comes the inevitable rise of the summer country songs.  I took a listen through some of the top hits on iTunes and decided to share my opinions on the most memorable selections.  Here are some songs you can expect to hear on country radio this summer:

Luke Bryan- "Drunk On You": 

This right here is why I love country videos- they actually tell a story.  I don't know the first thing about Luke Bryan, but I'll be damned if I wasn't rooting for his girl to show up at the end of the video, even if her appearance was completely and totally inevitable.  The song is neither here nor there, nothing I can get excited about, but the video makes it enjoyable.

Little Big Town- "Pontoon": 

True story: I had no idea what a "pontoon" was until I watched this video.  And simultaneously looked it up on Wikipedia.  But whatever.  It sure looks like a fun time!

Carrie Underwood- "Good Girl": 

Say what you want about Carrie Underwood, but you can't deny she's the most vocally talented of any American Idol winner, and possibly of any female singer in pop or country music these days.  Her voice is so powerful, and has so much character, and she can perform vocal tricks that are more advanced than just about anything else out there these days.  Listening to her songs is enjoyable mostly for that fact, and "Good Girl" is no exception.  Seriously, try singing along.  You won't be able to do it.  That's when you realize how much better some of these contest-winners really are than you.
 
Eli Young Band- "Even If It Breaks Your Heart":  

Last year's winners of my Best Country Song award (with "Crazy Girl") are back at it again this summer, with a track almost (if not quite) as good.  This one's about loving music and following your dreams, so it's got a more uplifting and all-encompassing message than one about loving a crazy girl (although we've all been there too, I suppose, haven't we?)

Gloriana- "Kissed You Good Night":  

I do love me some country duets, although this one doesn't quite match up to some of last year's standouts like "Don't You Wanna Stay" or "Remind Me."  Still, nothing beats a good ol' boy and girl professing their love to each other.

Jason Aldean- "Fly Over States":  

I also love a nice ode to places a Yank like me has never been to, exotic places like Oklahoma, Kansas, and Amarillo, TX.  Little chance I'll ever spend much time in any of these "flyover states" but now I feel like I understand their cultural values just as well as if I'd lived there once!  Thanks, Jason.

Kenny Chesney & Tim McGraw- "Feel Like A Rock Star":  

Here's a summer country party song if I ever heard one.  Perfect for the back of the pickup truck tailgate or the arena concert inside.  Wow, with blurbs like that I should work in Marketing for one of these guys...

Florida Georgia Line- "Cruise": 

Had to dig a little deeper to find this one, but the hyper-geographic  band name Florida Georgia Line leapt out at me, and the song backed it up with a sufficiently anthemic chorus and overall sound.  This could be the surprise country summer anthem of 2012.  You heard it here first, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment