Friday, June 1, 2012

10 New (And Not-So-New) Dance Jams You Need To Hear Right Now


As you might have heard, dance music is quite big over in the UK.  So, I was more than able to continue scouting for the best new music, and I was even able to visit a couple of London's most famous clubs, like Fabric (dubstep/drum+bass mayhem) and Ministry of Sound (where I got to see Kaskade spinning some epic bangers).  I also had the pleasure of visiting Barcelona, where I went to three beachfront nightclubs and heard all sorts of Eurojams.  These are not necessarily those songs.  However, this is the best collection of dance music I could cobble together, so enjoy!


Gotye- “Somebody That I Used To Know (Tiesto Remix)”: 

A song so spare, yet so popular, as "Somebody That I Used To Know" was obviously going to be a major target for a souped-up remix, and Tiesto has delivered the most massive one so far.
                                    


Nadia Ali, Starkillers, Alex Kenji & Alesso vs Coldplay- “Fix You Pressure”: 

SHM played this in their set at Madison Square Garden back in the fall, but it took a lot longer for me to remember it and find it online.  What a fantastic concept for a mashup- although it's really just "Pressure," then "Fix You," then "Pressure" again.  Either way, major jam.

John de Sohn- “Long Time (feat. Andreas Moe)”: 

This is just a basic pop-dance track, but it's insanely catchy and it feels big, so it gets inclusion on my "best-of" list.
 
Martin Solveig- “The Night Out (Madeon Remix)”:

This is just a straight-up party starter.  No two ways about it.  Madeon is awesome, and everyone should check out some of his other stuff as well.

Lana Del Rey- “Born To Die (Gemini Remix)”: 

One of the times I went to Fabric, Gemini happened to be playing (completely by chance) which got me really psyched because I had actually heard his song "Blue" before and really liked it.  He closed his set with that, but right before it, he laid down this cover of Lana Del Rey's haunting track, and it immediately became one of my new favorites.

Nero- “Must Be The Feeling (Flux Pavilion and Nero Remix)”: 

This is literally the wildest dubstep jam I've heard this year.  No, it's not "filthy" in terms of just being unfiltered noise.  It actually has structure and melody, so it's probably not "hardcore" enough for some, but it's perfect for me.  It gets me amped every time, even as I'm listening to it RIGHT NOW!  A must-have.  Turn up the bass and go crazy.

M-3ox- “Beating Of My Heart (feat. Heidrun) (Matisse & Sadko Remix)”: 

This is one of those only-in-EDM mega-collaborations where you've never heard of anyone involved and it's impossible to keep everyone straight, but ultimately it doesn't matter because the one song they've produced together is too good to ignore.  I think I've finally figured out what type of house music I like, too- songs with a powerful melody and a huge sound.  Notice the common trend in these last four tracks...

Antillas- “Damaged (feat. Fiora)”: 

This song has an insanely long intro...you could make a case that the "beat doesn't drop" until almost 2/3 of the way through.  But that would be impatient, because the journey to get there is a great one.  Sure, it's a long song, but every part of it is worth listening to.

Keane- “Silenced By The Night (Alesso Remix)”:  

This is the current #1 song on Beatport, and for good reason.  Almost no song sounds more huge, and is more of a guarantee to get people moving at a huge festival than this one.  Except for, maybe, "Levels" and... 

Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl (ft. Georgi Kay)- “In My Mind (Axwell Mix)”: 

Biggest house hit of the year so far, hands down.  Massive, massive track.  Kaskade played it at Ministry and it was amazing.  I heard it a couple times watching the YouTube feed of Ultra, and I'm sure it'll be pretty ubiquitous at any festival this summer.  Get used to it, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment