Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Belated Personal Favorites of 2013



*This illustration doesn't really apply to me, yet...but I'm feeling old today, so just go with it.

To all my devoted readers, I apologize for the lateness of this post for the second year in a row. I've been exceptionally busy, so even though I've had the list ready to go, I haven't had time to put it into blog form until right now. But here it is- my personal favorite songs that were released in 2013. These are not ranked; rather, they are grouped roughly by genre. Also, they don't include any songs that were on my Best Hot 100 Hits of 2013. So these are more deep cuts, if you will.  I know you all value my opinion, and have been waiting patiently to find out what you should be listening to, so here you go:



Gold Fields- "Dark Again":

These guys sound like a combo of every band I like, so naturally I liked their album a fair amount. This was the lead single. Could be on the radio someday...

Phoenix- "Trying To Be Cool":

This was the second single off their album this year, and by far the best song on the album. It was remastered for its release as a single here, but it still sounds pretty great.
      
The 1975- "Chocolate":

Oh, man. I'm not sure it's possible to be any more British than these guys. Except maybe if you sound like this. Still, it's a great track that I first heard back in April and that's now tearing up the radio charts. Funny how I have such a knack for predicting the hits. Guess it's just a natural talent...
       
Audien- "Leaving You (feat. Michael S)":

Audien knows how to make great, melodic tracks. This here is a prime example of one.
      
Avicii- "You Make Me":

And thus begins the Avicii portion of the post. It should come as no surprise that he makes up a sizable chunk of this year's personal favorites, since I listened to True on repeat this year. This was the second single from True, and it's a great song with a very weird video.  Just try to enjoy it nonetheless.
   
Avicii- "Hey Brother":

Avicii rebounds big-time in the video category with the third single from True. Americana, even from a Swede, is always appreciated here at Consider Me Named.
        
Avicii- "Shame On Me":

Here's the first of three non-single (so far) standout 2013 tracks from Avicii. This one is sort of more of a classic sound from him, although it is infused with the same sounds as much of the rest of the album.
   
Avicii- "Lay Me Down":

I apologize for the Hungarian subtitles and uncomfortable shots of Adam Lambert. Until this gets released as a single, I don't know what else to do. Anyway, this is a pretty great Avicii/Nile Rodgers disco jam. Hard to go wrong there.
   
Avicii- "Long Road To Hell":

Kazoo alert!!! Honestly, who else but the world's foremost magician of melody could make a kazoo sound good in real life? This should prove to you hands down why Avicii owned 2013 more than anybody else. Seriously kickass song. Thus ends the Avicii portion of the post.
   
Klangkarussell- "Sonnentanz (Sun Don't Shine) (feat. Will Heard)":

Time to slow things down a little bit, and head across the pond for a Eurojam or two. Don't be scared off by the weird foreign names, this song is in English and is very accessible. Enjoy!
    
Sub Focus- "Endorphins (Sub Focus vs Fred V & Grafix Remix)":

There are multiple other remixes of this song. Don't bother with any of the others, this is the one you want. Trust me.

Mat Zo- "Lucid Dreams":

When that riff comes in at 33 seconds...just thank me later, man. Just thank me later. And thank Mat Zo, I guess. Number 1 riff of 2013, hands down.
        
Porter Robinson & Mat Zo- "Easy":

Weird, weird video. Anime fans will like it, I suppose. Don't be scared off, though. This was a big-time summer jam this year.
         
Sebastian Ingrosso, Tommy Trash & John Martin- "Reload":

And, back to the epic bangers. This is a festival-type song, but the melody and vocal track makes it pretty accessible to everyday listening.
         
Seven Lions with Myon & Shane 54- "Strangers (feat. Tove Lo)":

This one found its way into heavy rotation this fall for me. I think it was mostly the vocals that did it. Some of the best of the year, I think.
       
Tim Mason- "Swoon":

All instrumentals right here! This wins second place for riff of the year, I guess. Impossible not to tap your foot, and then wind up moving your body when this comes on.
   
Zedd- "Clarity (feat. Foxes) (Tom Budin Remix)":

If you need to chill/bliss out for about nine minutes, this was the best track released in 2013 to help you do so. If you can still stand listening to the vocals from "Clarity" one more time after hearing it about 500 times this past year...
       
C2C- "Down the Road":

You may remember this as the song from those Dr. Pepper commercials. Well, I remember it as...just a really good song, I guess. I was psyched when I saw it in the commercial, but it was old news to me by then. So if you haven't heard it, check it out, because it's pretty infectious!
      
Eminem- "Rap God":

This was my hardest omission from the Best of the Hot 100 list. I was expecting it to make Billboard's year-end list, but it didn't. I had it slotted at #3 on my list, but I had to take it out, because it didn't qualify. Anyway, this is Eminem's best work in basically a decade right here, so bump it, blast it, learn it, and repeat it back to me. Just kidding about that last part. That would be difficult to accomplish.
     
Juicy J- "Bounce It (feat. Wale & Trey Songz)":

There were very few hip-hop songs that I actually truly enjoyed this year, but this was one of them. I had it playing all summer, pretty much. It sounds like it could have been made 10 years ago, which is probably why I liked it...
   
Bonnie McKee- "American Girl":

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this wasn't a bigger hit. It was quite possibly the best bubblegum pop song of the year, and it had quietly hilarious and subversive lyrics if you actually listened to them. I guess it'll have to remain a personal favorite, rather than anything bigger. Sorry, Bonnie.
      
Daft Punk- "Give Life Back to Music":

This, not "Get Lucky," was my favorite song on the Daft Punk album this year. Probably because it was pure disco.
       
John Newman- "Love Me Again":

Once again, I correctly picked a British song that would cross the pond and become big in the States. I really do have a knack for agreeing with record executives!
      
Miley Cyrus- "Adore You":

This was a surprise addition to the list of personal favorites. I certainly didn't expect Miley to make her way onto the list after hearing her first two singles, but "Adore You" is the perfect ballad/slow jam that this list was lacking. The video, just released a couple weeks ago, is a little more tasteful than the last two, but still manages to make me uncomfortable. Consider this an official plea for Miley to grow her hair back out...
       
Chris Brown- "Fine China":

Get it, guys? Fine "China?" Like, the Asian country? That's why Chris Brown is dating the daughter of a Chinese triad gangster in this video? Sooo clever. For some reason, I'm not too interested in seeing the conclusion of this uninspired music video/action movie starring an artist of reprehensible moral character. But none of that stops this from being a superhot R&B jam, one of many from Chris Brown. If he can stay out of jail in 2014, maybe we'll see him back here again.

And thus concludes the list of personal favorites for 2013. I hope you put at least a few of these onto your...uh...whatever, or however, you listen to your music these days. I don't wanna date myself by saying iTunes library or mp3 player. I'll leave that up to you to decide. Let's just say, I hope you like a few of them. We'll leave it there for now. Adios!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment